Saturday, November 5, 2011

Zuoying Military Dependents Village - 眷村裡迷路‧左營自助新村



There's not a lot of information about this place in English, but as far as I can tell, it was built some time after 1949 for the families of the KMT soldiers who came over from China. Much of it is abandoned now and the government wants to tear it down (for both political and practical reasons), but the remaining inhabitants don't want to leave. Most of these military villages across Taiwan have already been torn down, but one in Taichung was saved by making it a tourist destination, which is what I think they are trying to do here. I don't believe it's worked, so if you want to check it out, go soon.



This section was painted by art students (I believe) and is more colorful and cute. I went early in the summer and again in September, and there were a lot of new things, so it's worth going back if you've already been.




A map of Zuoying. The village is on the very bottom left part of the map.


This little alleyway is very popular. Be prepared to wait if you want to take photos here.



I'm not sure what the blue flags are.


This is where things start getting political. The sign translates to anti-communist alley (I think).




Taiwanese and KMT flags.






I guess security is an issue in this area.


I'm not sure what this symbolizes. China?




There was something on here about One China, two governments but I couldn't get in the photograph. No else was really paying attention or taking photographs of the political stuff the day I went.






The KMT is the anchor of Taiwan? Or the KMT is dragging down Taiwan? Why is the helicopter angry? This picture creates more questions than it answers.



Taiwanese-American cooperation



Back to the cute stuff.








There are a few places selling tea and food.

Some more photos I took with my cell phone when I returned in the fall:


I'm not really sure what's happening here.


KMT wall

 Hopscotch into an inferno? Is that a sunset or Armageddon?




One thing I like about Taiwan is all the flowers.


More information:

Military Dependents Village
Taichung's Rainbow Military Dependents Village - The Daily Bubble Tea
Zuoying Military Dependents Village - If you want to see more (and much better) photos.

To get here:

It's across from Hai-ching Senior High School of Business and Commerce on Bisheng Rd in Zuoying.

I took public transportation the first time I came, but it's definitely easier to drive. Take the MRT to Kaohsiung arena and then take the Red 36 bus to 海青工商‎ (hai qing gong shang) - the English will be the name of the high school. From there, walk to Bisheng Rd (It's in sight of the bus stop), take a left, and look for the alleyway opposite the school. Many other buses stop there so if you are used to the bus system, it's worth checking if there is a more convenient one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment