Saturday, June 18, 2011

Martyr's Shrine


A few weeks ago I went to Martyr's Shrine on Shoushan. It's a good way to get out of the city, although if you really want to get away from the city, there are some hiking trails nearby that are probably better.

Just below the shrine there is a good area to take photos. It was a pretty hazy day, but you can still still Cihou lighthouse on Cijin island.


Looking at the river. I saw a photo someone else had taken from this spot and that's what made me want to visit this spot. It took me awhile to figure out where it was. I'm sure it seems obvious to anyone who can read Chinese, but my reading skills are still pretty basic.


The front door

It's a fairly simple shrine. Nobody was up here. There were a lot of people taking pictures of the view below, but no one came up here. I guess the shrine itself isn't the draw.

The main courtyard

Behind the shrine

Back of the shrine. I was hoping I'd see monkeys, but I didn't.

Front door from the inside.

To get here: I took the MRT to Sizihwan station, then went out exit 1 and walked down the main road away from the station. I took a right on Gubo St (I think) - at the end of the street, it turns into stairs. Go up the stairs. You'll have to cross another street about half way - look out for scooters. Just look for more stairs across the street. The second set of stairs are in the woods. At the end of the stairs, look for the gate in the first picture, and walk up that road. There is undoubtedly a better way to do this, but I don't know it and this will get you there. If you have a scooter, the shrine is on Xingguo Rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment