Saturday, December 11, 2010

Night Markets in Taiwan

Shida Night Market, Taipei

One of the things I really miss about Taiwan is the night markets. Shida Night Market is next to Shida University. It's not that big, but I usually stayed at a hotel near there when I went to Taipei, so I would always visit it. The One Cup 1000cc sign describes all the different kinds of tea they sell. 

Fruit Stand, Shida Night Market

The red ribbons hanging over the fruit spin around to keep flies off the fruit. 

Shilin Night Market, Taipei

Shilin Night Market is probably the biggest one in Taipei. It's split into two sections, a food hall with a roof, and the (primarily) non-food stalls outside. This is the food section. There's over 500 food stalls here. 

Shilin Night Market

On the right is a fruit juice stand. Those were generally my favorite. I only knew the words for mango, papaya or strawberry milkshakes, so that's all I could order. Well, I did know the word for juice as well, I just prefer milkshakes. I could read Chinese better than I could speak it, so if I had wanted to I could have pointed and ordered something different. 

Hsinchu Night Market

I'm not sure if this is really a night market or not. It was open all the time (perhaps not mornings, I was never there in the morning) and it was pretty permanent looking, but it was tiny shops set up outside, so I'll count it. This one had mostly clothing.

Fish Stall, Cijin, Kaohsiung

This one is on an island in Kaohsiung. You can take a little ferry there. It's pretty touristy, but it's cute and has nice beaches. There was a lot of fish for sale.

Cijin, Kaohsiung

This one has something to do with fried eggs, unless I'm reading it wrong (which is very possible).

Xinbu, Miaoli

This one is only open in the day, I believe. It's just a handful of stalls set outside of a little park filled with odd statues. If you are in the area, and I can't imagine you ever will be, as it's near absolutely nothing, go to this little park. Take the local train to Xinbu, on the sea line - between Jhunan and somewhere in Taichung county, the train splits into two lines, the sea and mountain lines. The station is also called Xinpu or Sinpu. Anyway, take a left out of the station and walk down the road until you see a park with strange statues. There is nothing else there, so you can't possibly miss it. If you get hungry, walk all the way through to the ocean to get to the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment