Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Temples in Jhunan

Jhunan (or Zhunan) is a fairly small town in Miaoli county. I'm pretty sure you could see very similar temples anywhere in Taiwan. Saying that, I really enjoy Taiwanese temples, and even the smallest and most ordinary ones are worth a visit.
Longfeng Temple
This is the largest Matsu (or Mazu) statue in Taiwan. Matsu is the goddess of the sea. 

Back of Longfeng Temple



Turtles at Longfeng Temple

Behind the main building is a little artificial pond filled with turtles.

Interior, Longfeng Temple

I don't know what these are for.






I can't remember which temple this was. It's a little hazy because of the incense.

A side room at one of the temples

I can never remember where this temple is, but from time to time I would go by it when I was riding my bike. It's not on a main road, so it's difficult to find intentionally.

I believe this is the temple on the cobblestone road that has blue lights embedded in it. I couldn't find this one again for months, and had begun to think I imagined it. It's easier to find at night when the road is lit up.

To get there: For Longfeng temple - a lot of people call it the Matsu Temple as well - take the train to Jhunan station (they were in the process of renaming it Zhunan station when I left, so keep an eye out for both spellings). Go down Bo-Ai St, which is the main street heading away from the station, then take a right at Longshan Rd. It will be on your left. For the other temples, ride around on a bicycle. You probably won't find them, but you'll find others that might be more interesting.

Temples in Jhunan  - a list of the temples in Jhunan (in Chinese)

No comments:

Post a Comment